BUSIT card guidelines and useful tips
How much does a BUSIT card cost?
A new BUSIT card costs $15.00 (non-refundable), but you are given a $10.00 credit to get you started.
Benefits of a BUSIT card
- You get discounted fares.
- You don't have to carry cash every time you ride a bus.
- It makes travelling on buses easy for individuals who have trouble handling cash.
Keep your BUSIT card receipt
When you buy your new BUSIT card, keep your receipt - it contains your BUSIT card serial number. If you lose your BUSIT card we will use your serial number to track the credit amount left on your card.
Child fares apply to children aged 5-14 and to year 9-13 students with approved school ID, or when in school uniform. Children under 5 years travel free.
Where can I top up my BUSIT card?
You can purchase and top up your BUSIT card from:
- your driver (cash only)
- the Transport Centre BUSIT counter (cash or EFTPOS)
- University of Waikato Student Centre (EFTPOS only).
BUSIT cards are $5.00 and you must top-up at least $10.00. Maximum value on the card is $299.00.
Lost BUSIT cards
If you have kept the original purchase receipt of your BUSIT card (that has the serial number on it), and your most recent bus ticket, we can transfer that credit onto a replacement card. This can only be transferred if your credit amount is above $10.00.
If the credit amount is below $10.00, you will need to pay the difference to make it up to $10.00. Please note there is a $5.00 charge for a replacement card.
Take care of your BUSIT card
Your BUSIT card needs to be looked after like any other electronic card. Please do not bend, scratch, hole-punch or physically damage the card in anyway, as this will stop the card from functioning and you’ll need to purchase a replacement card.
Terms and conditions
- BUSIT cards remain the property of the issuer – Waikato Regional Council.
- No refunds are made on the loss or damage of a card.
- Stored value on BUSIT cards cannot be refunded.
- BUSIT cards can be used on services within the Hamilton city area, as well as Raglan, Northern Connector, Cambridge, Te Awamutu, Paeroa, Mangakino, Tokoroa and Taupo.
- The holder/owner of this card must abide by the operator’s standard terms and conditions of carriage.
Our team at the Transport Centre is available at the BUSIT counter from 8am until 4.30pm Monday to Friday (except public holidays).